Today’s (Okay it’s Wednesday. This writing on Monday and posting on Tuesday isn’t working out as well as I’d hoped) Top Ten Tuesday hosted by The Broke and Bookish is Top Ten Books on my summer To Be Read list. I have like 20 books on that list, so this a narrowing. Here are the 5 first or stand-alone books I want to read this summer as well as 5 sequels I am waiting for.
1.We Were Liars by E. Lockhart. We recently got this one in at the library but unfortunately I didn’t get to read it before it was whisked off into the world of library patrons. From what I gather it seems to be a strange mix of YA and Adult since I’ve found it on new release lists in both genres. Anyway the title is intriguing and it sounds like a good read. Hopefully I’ll be getting this one soon.
2.Legend by Marie Lu. I’m in love with dystopians, so this is an obvious pick for me and I’m honestly surprised at myself that I haven’t read it before. For a while I was skeptical of it being a little bit too similar to the Hunger Games since there’s been so many books come out lately with the whole “select a group of children for (insert deadly task)” idea. But this one seems to have avoided much of that criticism.
3. To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before by Jenny Han. I saw this book for the first time in the airport in May and since then it’s been popping up all the time while I’ve been searching for books to read this summer. I’m a little weary since cheesiness and romance are my enemy, but I’ve heard it’s pretty realistic so I’m also optimistic.
4.(Don’t You) Forget About Me by Kate Karyus Quinn. This book also keeps showing up while I search for books. I was a little confused when I first started seeing it because the title seems a little romancy and the cover gives nothing away, yet it came up in similar lists when I was looking for dystopian/post-apocolyptic/new earth stuff. So I decided to give the description a read eventually and now the title just sounds so intriguing and much less like Breakfast Club music.
5. Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury. I know, who am I to talk about my love for dystopians and reading when I haven’t even read the dystopia that is all about books? I figured I better read this one finally. It’s been on my list for a long time I just never really got around to it. This summer I will finally do that.
6. The Infinite Sea by Rick Yancey (The 5th Wave #2). This actually doesn’t come out until September, at which point summer will likely be over here in Alberta, Canada. However this is still on my list because I need it. I really want to see what happens to more than one of the characters (although I am very concerned about one in particular).
7. Unsouled by Neal Shusterman (Unwind #3). Once again I actually can’t believe I haven’t read this yet. Unwind is in my top five favourite books ever, and the concept of the series is just mind-blowing genius. I’ve searched book stores for this and haven’t ever come across it, so the library is now my best chance. Why this series isn’t 100 times more popular will always mystify me.
8. City of Heavenly Fire by Cassandra Clare (Mortal Instruments #6). Normally this style of books is not my forte, but this series has me hooked. I’m excited to get on the super-long library wait list for this one (#98!) .
9.Toxic by Sara Shepard (Pretty Little Liars #15). PLL is my guilty pleasure. Actually not that guilty, I’ll tell anyone I love it. It’s suspenseful, funny, twisted, and all kinds of fun. I can’t wait to get my hands on the last one ever (actually we’ll have to see about that, I wouldn’t put it past her to extend them again).
10. Where She Went by Gayle Foreman (If I Stay #2). I read the first one in one day. It was pretty good, and I want to see the movie eventually. Well I’m not quite as excited about this as some of the others on my list I still really want to find out what happens.
Thanks for checking out Top Ten Tuesday! Let me know what your summer reading list looks like in the comments!